Tuesday, July 12, 2011

So what's the deal with Google+ ?

So everyone has been hearing the hype about Google+! Who's in and who's not? How do they choose.. and what is this testing group? I just happen to be one of those privileged individuals allowed into "testing". (By this I mean, I have a friend who was privileged and found a backdoor that sent an invite to me even though they say they're full!).

MY TWO CENTS:

This new toolbar! It's nice, I can dig it. I like the integration of the Google+ profile with the other "everyday" google options.

About the Overall Concept
From what I read, understand, see, and generally observe; it seems as if google is trying to change the pace of social networking. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. foster an unnatural social construction that exists in and only in the internet. GOOGLE TO THE RESCUE. Here they come, bright and mighty as ever, creating a new environment! This new network is here to emulate real* social interaction. (That of the sort that you find when in the presence of other humans)*. So here is why. There is no "wall". You post what you are doing and choose who is seeing that particular message. There is a public option, but I get the impression that they're like.. do you really want your mom to see that? Also, HANGOUTS! It's cool! you can be like, hey "friends" let's hangout. So whoever pleases... enters this "hangout" (video chat). They're really there! OMG! It's actually awesome because few chat programs/ web apps allow multiperson video.

Pretty much google is always awesome, they bring it to the next level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I started this, I had just gotten an account. Here I am, with some friends in circles, a fully functioning Google+ participant. I have to say, I do check it less than facebook, but it is a similar medium. Google eliminated the need to publicly communicate by "writing on 'walls'", but still allows the twitter-esque 'tagging'.

One of the great sharing features is notify my circles. I think it is nice to set your friends up as either passerby's or you need to look at this now!!


Also, the photo interface is the fuck awesome. 


DRAG AND DROP! AT LAST! I have albums all set up in iPhoto from uploads, and no more searching through. Just click and drag. Also, the commenting/+1 is nice. ALSO no bad quality truncated photos. It's like flickr and facebook had a lovechild.

That's all for now.

Have a problem? Let me google that for you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment